Sunday 26 April 2009

Mini Chocolate Meringues


Crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside, these mini meringues are highly addictive, deceptively easy and cost almost nothing to make. Careful you don't scoff all of them in one go :)

* Ensure all equipment is dry and oil-free. Makes 20-30 pieces*

Whisk with an eletric mixer on low speed for 1 minute, then medium for 2-3 mins:
3 large egg whites
Pinch of salt

Add 175g sugar very gradually while continuing to whisk (this will take about 5 minutes) until glossy.

Lightly swirl in 2 tbsp cocoa powder and 40g grated dark chocolate (optional).

Drop tablespoonfuls (or teaspoonfuls if you want tiny ones) onto a lined baking sheet.

Bake at 140 C for 40 minutes and let cool in the oven with the door ajar. Devour! :)

5 comments:

  1. Samantha, my jaw is dropping as I read your blog, not only because I am amazed at your energy and entrepreneurship, but also because the food looks SO GOOD........

    *sigh*

    Why am I living in a different continent from you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks Rina!:) you don't need me to come cook for you, the main point of sharing these recipes is so you can do it yourself... :)

    Will let you know about NYC, but at the moment it's not looking likely cos it's costing a bit too much :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I NEED THESE IN MY TUMMY, NEED FOOOD, FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD I EAT LOTS OF FOOOD, IM A BEAST YUMMMY FOOOOOOOOOD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam
    Tried this recipe with my 9 year old. Easy and YUM. The girls in her class loved it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Would a mocha variation - say grated Choc and half qty of coffee work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, glad to hear your daughter enjoyed this!:) Feel free to experiment with the mocha, I've never tried using powdered coffee but in theory it should work if combined with powdered cocoa. Let me know how it turns out!:)

      Delete