Wednesday 29 June 2011

Victoria Sponge with Fresh Strawberries

SAM TAN'S KITCHEN HAS MOVED! Please visit the new website/online store at www.samtanskitchen.com. You can also follow Sam on InstagramFacebook and Twitter. Thank you!



Ah, good old Queen Victoria and her penchant for a bit of sponge cake with her afternoon tea! There is nothing quite as classically British, quite as light and summery, quite as ridiculously easy to make than this delicious combination of butter sponge, jam and cream.

My version below also consists of a layer of sliced fresh strawberries- trust me, it makes all the difference and makes an already good thing great.

Victoria Sponge with Fresh Strawberries
Makes one 8" round cake


Dump all into a bowl and whisk briefly with an electric mixer until well combined:
175g (1 1/2 sticks or 12 tbsp) butter, softened
175g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
175g (1 1/2 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs

Divide the batter equally into two 8" round sandwich pans (lined with greaseproof paper to ease removal). Bake at 160C/ 320 F fan-assisted (or 180C/ 350 F without) for about 20 mins or until golden yellow and springy to touch.

Allow to cool in tin for about 10 mins, then remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Spread one layer with about 3 tbsp strawberry jam. Slice a large handful of strawberries and layer over the top.

Whip 300ml double cream until thickened and spread over the strawberries.

Place the second sponge layer on top and dust with icing sugar. Serve immediately.



9 comments:

  1. looks delish and simple... just don't know grams to oz/T/tsp, etc. nor do I know the C to F. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,

      For your benefit I've edited the recipe above to now include cups/Fahrenheit etc :)

      In future, conversions are easily Google-able- just type in "160 c to f" and Google instantly calculates it's 320 F, or gives you links which tell you :)

      Here's a good site that specifically converts any measurement of common baking ingredients to another measurement (don't forget different ingredients have different weight/volume conversions- click on the right hand side for other ingredients): http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/sugar_amounts.html

      Happy baking, enjoy the recipe!

      Delete
  2. Hi Samantha, after the success of making your fruit cream cake a couple of weeks ago I made my first ever Victoria Sponge last night. Can't believe how easy it was!!! I just had to bake another as the first one was devoured within minutes. Thanks for spreading the joy in NZ with your fab recipes.
    Audrey
    P.S Congrats on being part of the Olympic opening ceremony. Would love to hear how it's all going. How exciting to be a part of something so internationally momentous! I have the greatest memories of being at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really glad my recipes are working out for you Audrey!:)

      I am part of the closing ceremony, not the opening. Rehearsals are intense and exhausting, but great!:)

      Happy cooking!

      Delete
  3. hi sam
    i have made this cake and it tasted wonderful.
    thank you soo much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Samantha!

    I'm a PhD student in England, making a poster about my research. I'm trying to explain my research using a cake analogy, and I'd love to use your picture of this cake, if you don't mind! It looks so delicious...!

    Let me know if it's okay for me to use it, and how I should credit you! Thank you!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ruth! Sure thing, just credit it Samantha Tan @ Sam Tan's Kitchen :)

      Good luck with your research!

      Delete
  5. This cake is lovely. I'm making it tonight for my sweetheart's birthday, it's his favorite. Even better after it's been in the fridge for a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete